Barbara Breedlove Rollins' Family Files


Page 3 of 3

  1. Samuel ANDERSON and his wives and children.
  2. Thomas Wilson ANDERSON, Sr., and his wife Columbia Bell McFERRON ENGLISH ANDERSON.
  3. Thomas Wilson Anderson, Jr., and his wife Emma L. Williams.
  4. Joe Holt Anderson, Sr., and his wife Lena Lorice KERLEY.
  5. Joseph HOLT and the fighting Texas Baptists.
        Names I'm Researching         My Home Genealogy Page

D.)   Joe Holt ANDERSON, Sr., and his wife Lena Lorice KERLEY.

Joe Holt ANDERSON, Sr., known to his employees and many members of the community as "Mr. Joe", was born at Old English, Red River County, Texas, November 29, 1887. He married Lena Lorice KERLEY, the daughter of T. T. KERLEY and wife Willia Celestia MEEKS, February 2, 1910, at her parents' home in Chillicothe, Hardeman County, Texas. Lena Lorice KERLEY was born December 24, 1887, at Mexia in Limestone County, Texas, becoming a resident of Hardeman County by the time she was a year old when her family moved to Chillicothe by covered wagon, becoming come of the first residents of the county. She died in Quanah, Hardeman County, Texas December 9, 1966. A biographical sketch in the Hardeman County history book describes the family as follows:

Joe H. ANDERSON was born at Old English, Texas in Red River Co. November 29, 1887. His mother died leaving four young children (three sisters and Joe). Each child lived with different relatives for some time. In 1906, Mr. Thomas Wilson ANDERSON and son, Joe, moved to Chillicothe from Rhome, Texas, to run a grain elevator for William Cameron Co. A married sister and her husband (Mrs. J. J. CHAMBERS who still resides in Chillicothe) followed about a year later. Still later a younger sister, Flossie, joined the family here and later married O. H. NAYLOR. Mrs. NAYLOR now resides at 900 Shaw, Quanah.
On February 2, 1910, Joe married Lena Lorice KERLEY, daughter of one of Chillicothe's earliest citizens, Thomas T. KERLEY. At that time, Mr. ANDERSON worked for G. R. JONES' Tin Shop. In 1912, he worked for a tin shop belonging to T. Sanford GIBBS in the old Chillicothe bank building which now houses the West Texas Utility Co. office. There followed a succession of employers in tin shops in various locations, including Quanah, San Antonio, and Beeville. During World War I, he was employed at Navy Yards in Norfolk, Va. When he returned to Chillicothe, he went into business for himself, and continued to run a shop there until 1936. With the growth of the cotton industry, Mr. ANDERSON began to specialize in equipment and fittings for cotton gins.
He bought a shop and moved to Quanah in 1936; he also owned a shop in Lubbock. He retains part interest in both shops today, although he has been retired from active business for several years.
Mr. ANDERSON has always taken an active interest in community affairs and has perhaps served longer on school boards in Hardeman County than any other individual. He has been a member of I.O.O.F. lodge for over fifty years, has served as President of Quanah Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, Salvation Army, United Fund and other Civic projects. He was a member of the Board of Directors of Security National Bank. For many years Mr. ANDERSON has been one of the most active laymen in the Methodist Church.
Mr. ANDERSON's children are: Mrs. J. L. BARNES (Emma Lorice), Quanah, Texas, Mrs. Sam R. BREEDLOVE, (Alma Ellen), Quanah, Joe Holt ANDERSON, Jr., Washington, D.C.

I think perhaps Joe Holt ANDERSON's name originally was Joseph Holt ANDERSON. This is based on correspondence addressed to him as Joseph ANDERSON in 1910 from the drafting correspondence school. However, if his name was originally Joseph he virtually never used it after that point in time, even filing out the application for employment with the federal government in 1917 as Joe. The name "Holt" is not a family name in either family before the birth of Joe Holt ANDERSON on November 29, 1887. Joe Holt ANDERSON, Jr., reports that it is his understanding the name was in honor of Joseph HOLT, an evangelist of the time. I have found among the family pictures one labeled as "A. J. HOLT", the photographer being Hillyer & Son, 701 Elm Street, Dallas, Texas. On the back of the photograph are the initials "E. A." which may mean the picture was given to Emma ANDERSON. Her death May 5, 1896, would indicate the picture was made before then. The picture is of a handsome, robust gentleman, perhaps in his late thirties, with receding hair. Tales of A. J. HOLT who was, in the Baptist wars of the time, an ally of Rev. Samuel Joseph ANDERSON are reported in the following section.

A story from Joe ANDERSON's childhood reveals he, too, was fallible:

Uncle Tom ANDERSON was another of Grandmother's brothers whose wife, Emma, was a sister of Mr. WILLIAMS making her children Verna's cousins as well as ours. They were Alma, Estelle, Flossie, and Joe. Bub, Joe and some other boys were riding horses once when they were visiting us, when they saw a covered wagon approaching from the opposite direction. They judged that they would arrive at one end of a long bridge at the same time the wagon would reach the other end. I guess an imp whispered to them (or maybe Uncle Bob's 'Old Devil') so they called loudly, 'Mister, will you please wait and let this blind boy across the bridge?' They had taken Joe's bridle reins and were leading his horse, one in front and the other following. The family in the wagon were almost in tears with sympathy when they reached them and just as they said, 'Thank you,' Joe opened his eyes and said, 'Nice team you have there, Mister', and the boys galloped away.

As Joe Holt ANDERSON, Jr., points out, "Incidentally the story about Joe ANDERSON's blindness prank, which she recounts, is enriched a bit if you recall that he had darn' near blinded himself three years earlier by sticking a knife in his eye while whittling on a bed slat..." Joe's childhood was spent in Rhome and Justin, Texas. He went to high school in Justin, Denton County, Texas.

Joe and Lena ANDERSON lived in Chillicothe, Quanah, San Antonio, Beeville, back to Chillicothe, and then Quanah. While living in San Antonio, an incident occurred which his son reported many years later, on July 29, 1966, at the Thirty-third annual convention of the American Newspaper Guild (AFL-CIO, CLC) in Washington, D.C.:

BROTHER ANDERSON: We admire the Guild's birth place, Cleveland, and would enjoy a visit there. But we like San Antonio, not only because that lovely city is usually and properly ranked in the same class with San Francisco and New Orleans with regard to its glamour and uniqueness, but also because of some real trade union considerations.
Most of us can remember a day when there were four locals in Texas. Well, we lost Sabine-Neches, original local of my Washington Post colleague and Guild brother, Alan BARTH, to a decertification election. We lost Houston to litigation on the Chronicle and a merger on the Press. And the old soldiers of El Paso just faded away.
We have one local left down there, but it's a tough, determined, and dedicated small local. I do not delude myself that a visit from this convention is going to automatically turn San Antonio into a better union town than it already is. But is it going to help the good trade unionists of that city - the heart and the lungs and often the voice of the labor movement in Texas - to consolidate their gains and help spread unionism in what happens to be my native state.
Brother President, knowing as I do that no offense was intended and assuring you now that no offense was taken, I would like to remind you that on at least one occasion in this convention you have had occasion to refer to me as "junior."
So perhaps it would be of passing interest to this convention to know who "senior" is. My 78-year-old father has been a private businessman - management - for 45 years. But about 50 years ago he was the president of the Sheet Metals Workers Local in San Antone. And when he took office, his members' wages were several years behind what had been accomplished in other Texas cities.
Well, with strike authorization in their pockets he and his committee woke up one morning to the noise of a terrific hailstorm - a rarity in San Antonio, and you shouldn't expect it during the 1968 convention. But they had their hailstorm, and they reasoned rightly that it had knocked out just about every tin roof in town, so they took their members out on the bricks that day. It took them nine weeks on the bricks, but they won.
San Antonio at that time shared with Chicago the reputation of being a great town for saloon-keeping alderman. And one of these aldermen - later a major of San Antone - approached my dad one day during the strike and said, "Joe, your members must be getting hungry."
And of course dad said, "They sure are."
And the alderman said, "Well, you know all you have to do to get the best free lunch in town is to buy a nickel beer in my saloon."
Dad said, "Well, alderman, some of my guys don't have a nickel."
And the saloonkeeper said:
"That's what I'm trying to tell you, Joe, Starting tomorrow I'm going to have a man standing just inside the door of my saloon, and anybody who shows him a Sheet Metal Workers' card, my man's going to give him a nickel."
San Antonio hasn't promised that kind of hospitality. But anyone who has ever bought a taco from a street vender or strolled along the banks of the San Antonio River knows what a town it is to know and to return to.
As many delegates said at Long Beach, there's something to be said for holding an ANG convention in the south. And if by so doing we can do anything to help start rebuilding the Guild in Texas, San Antonio is a magnificent city in which to do it.
PRESIDENT ROSENSTOCK: Beautiful Chauvinism.

Joe H. ANDERSON worked in the navy ship yards in Norfolk, Virginia, during World War I. His application for the work, dated December, 1917, is interesting in several respects. In stating his work history, the following information is given:

Feb. 1906-April, 1906 Chillicothe, Tex, T. S. GIBS, $8.00 per week, (nature of your duties in each case) helper in shop; (cause of leaving) no work
April, 1906-Aug., 1906 Dallas, Tex, HARRY Bros., $9.00 per week, helper in shop; strike of mechanics employed
Aug., 1906-Nov., 1906 Lehigh, O.K., Wm. BROWN, $12.00 per week, Making stove pipe & Rain proofs; was not sufficient workmen for the job
Nov., 1906-April, 1907 McAlister, O.K., OLLER cornice work, $12.00 to $15.00, helping erect cornice & working in shop; to except job near home
May, 1907-Sep, 1907 Quanah, Tex, LEWIS & SAMDERS, $2,78 per day, general shop work; for better wages
Sep, 1907-Dec. 1907 Chillicothe & Cleburne, Tex, G. L. PROTHRO, $3,00 per day, cornice work (making & erecting); jobs completed
Dec., 1907-June, 1908 Chillicothe, Tex, G. R. JONES, $3,00 per day, Blow pipe for gins & general repair work; wanted change
June, 1908-July 1909 Crowel, Tex, HOUSTON & HENRY, $3.00, pipes for gins, guttering houses, building tanks, etc.; wanted change
July, 1909-Sep. 1909 Oklahoma City, Aurthur Moor, $3.20 to 3.60, metal ceiling and cornice work; wanted change
Sep. 1909-Oct, 1909 Chickasha, O.K., BOCK Sheet Metal Works, $3.20, pipe work in flour Mill. Shop work; wanted change
Oct. 1909-Dec. 1909 Ft Worth, Tex, Collinsville Mfg. Co., $3.60, cornice & metal window work; wanted change
Dec., 1909-Jan, 1909 (sic) Cleburne, Tex, GOODWIN & Sons, $4.20, a rush job of cornice work; job completed, when home and married
Jan., 1910-Aug. 1911 Chillicothe, Tex, G. R. JONES, $3.25 gin work. allso making tank flues gutters, ect.; missunderstanding
Aug. 1911-Oct. 1911 Chillicothe, Tex, McPHERSON & HEROD, $3.25, gin work. allso making tank flues gutters, ect.; went in business
Oct. 1911-Dec. 1911 Chillicothe, Tex, My-Self, (no wages stated), gin work. allso making tank flues gutters, ect.; business bad
Jan, 1912-Mar, 1912 Chillicothe, Tex., J. W. ROSE & Sons, $3.60, gin work. allso making tank flues gutters, ect.; no work
Mar., 1912-June 1912 Quanah, Q. L. BARNES, $3.50, General Shop Work; no work
June, 1912-June, 1913 San Antonio, Tex, SCHUTZE & SEFFEL, $3.25 to $4.00, metal ceiling, cornice & shop work
July, 1913-Dec., 1917 Beeville, Tex, Beeville Windmill & Plumbing Co., $1300.00 per year, Pattern drafter and shop foreman

In answer to the question, "What schools have you attended, and for what periods? (Show grade of school completed.)", the answer given was "The free schools of this state for nine years. Ninth." Perhaps the most intriguing answer given was in the following exchange: State in each case whether or not you use any of the following, and, if so, to what extent:

If you have in the past used any of the foregoing, state which, to what extent, and when you discontinued the use in each case: "have used a very little Whisky & Beer -- discontinued their use 32 months." The wording "32 months" in that it is so precise would possibly suggest a concerted program of abstinence such as Alcoholics Anonymous. However, it would seem the more likely scenario is that this corresponds with the time in 1914 when he became a member of the Methodist church and began tithing. Perhaps this is another change of life which occurred at the same time.

Returning to Hardeman County after living in San Antonio and Beeville, Joe ANDERSON set up his own business. "After some shaky years, the young business took a unique direction. Joe ANDERSON mounted tools on a small truck and took this traveling shop from one cotton gin to another to fill on-the-spot needs for gin pipes and fittings. The precision service thus provided was something his competitors could not match, and the business grew." He was self educated, having learned the sheet metal business by correspondence courses ordered out of Pennsylvania. While he was self-educated, that does not mean he wasn't on top of things as they involved sheet metal work:

An anecdote I like still better is the one about the time he and a young college-trained engineer were working together to estimate a gin job and the engineer was showing signs of impatience with this uneducated old country tinner. They were calculating the new diameters required to carry the air and its load each time a smaller pipe teed into a main lane, thus requiring it become larger. (I suspect this was the collector line from a row of gin stands.) The engineer was using his slide rule to run 2pr2 on each, adding the two areas, and then solving for diameter from that Sarea. Dad was coming up with the correct answer within a quarter of an inch tolerance a couple of seconds faster every time. The engineer finally asked, "How are you doing that?" Dad had been using a carpenter's square and a folding rule simply to measure across the hypotenuse of the two pipe sizes on his square to find the diameter that would yield the correct combined volume. The engineer scratched his head. Dad started, "You know, of course, the area is a function of the square, and..." The engineer grinned, looked embarrassed, mumbled, "OK, I see," then apologized for his earlier behavior.

Joe ANDERSON was not without a feisty temper and a willingness to fight. Even though Alma Ellen ANDERSON BREEDLOVE remembers times when the temper flared, she only remembers one out and out fist fight. That resulted in a black eye, and when it was time to go to church on Sunday, the family chose instead to go to Wichita Falls and see Estelle and Joe CHAMBERS. On the way home that evening, there was a driving rain and extremely poor visibility. Since his headlights were weak, Joe drove close behind another vehicle. When that vehicle suddenly stopped, he hit it and then was hit from behind. The family spent the night in Vernon Flossie and Homer NAYLOR. Despite the temper, or perhaps because of it, when he and Lena married they agreed never again to quarrel as they had done in the past. After her death fifty six years later, he told his daughter Alma Ellen of the agreement and said, "And we never did."

Joe could make anything with metal, and not just the things that he did for a livelihood. He made metal umbrellas for a group of people for a parade, a model telescope and a model cottonhouse valve system, perfect in every detail, and a life size man.

An article in the November 25, 1938, Quanah Tribune Chief reports on the life of Joe H. ANDERSON under the headline "Prominent Quanah Citizen":

Born in Red River County, Texas, in 1887, Joe H. ANDERSON spent his boyhood in Rhome and Justin, Tex., attending high school in the latter city. It was in October, 1906, that he decided to come to Hardeman County. This he did the same month, locating in Chillicothe.
It was a year or two after coming to this county before ANDERSON found the type of work that appealed to him. During the fall of 1908 he worked for the firm of LEWIS & SANDERS in a sheet metal shop, little dreaming that 30 years later he would have a larger shop of his own and almost in the same location.
Mr. ANDERSON and Miss Lena KERLEY of Chillicothe were married in 1910. He operated a shop for the JONES Hardware of Chillicothe until 1913; then worked at his trade in San Antonio and Beeville until the World War. He was stationed at the Norfork, Va., Navy Yards during the war, and after the Armistice he came to Chillicothe and operated a Sheet metal shop.
Within a short time, demands for his services became too great for them to be filled from one shop, so he opened another in this city in June, 1933. Still, his quality of work could not be duplicated and calls from larger sections literally swamped him. Thus, in January of 1936 he moved his Chillicothe shop to Lubbock, and made his home in Quanah, being able to take care of the Hardeman county and Southern Oklahoma business personally, while a competent group of employees serve the Lubbock territory.
ANDERSON's two shops, Quanah and Lubbock, now employ twelve persons who receive top wages and most favorable working conditions. Their loyalty has helped ANDERSON to succeed in his work.
The ANDERSONs have continually been active in the church and civic organizations of the community. Their three children are Emma Lorice, Alma Ellen, and Joe Holt.
Mr. ANDERSON has been a member of the Odd Fellows for the past 30 years, and is past presiding officer in the four branches of same. He received decoration of Chivalry from Childress Canton No. 11 for meritorious service in this district. He is a member of the Methodist church and has been one of the Board of Stewards for more than 20 years, and is at present Chairman of the Quanah Board.
He was director of the Chillicothe Chamber of Commerce for six years and acted in the same capacity after moving to Quanah, having been elected to fill a vacancy and he has served since. He is a charter member of the Chillicothe Lions Club and past president. Member of Quanah Rotary since May, 1936.
When asked about his hobbies, Mr. ANDERSON said the main one was witnessing football games.
Little can be added as to his value to the community as you will have noted from his record in the preceding paragraphs, but we might say that Quanah is very fortunate to have such valuable citizens as the ANDERSONS.

On October 1, 1937, Joe ANDERSON was a driver in a two-car fatal collision. He was sued for $930.00 in damages and settled by paying $400.00. The other driver described the accident as follows:

My name is Aubry KEY. My mother lives at Unity, Lamar County, Texas, and I suppose that is what I would call my home. I am twenty six (26) years of age. I am single, and have never been married.
On Friday, October 1st, A.D. 1937, I was going to Brownfield, Texas, to pick cotton. I was driving a 1925 Model "T" Ford Pick-Up Truck in a western direction on the highway that leads west from Post, Texas. I have been told that the highway leads from Post, Texas, to Tahoka, Texas. I was traveling with a Mr. FISHER, his wife and three children in the car with me. I owned the car myself. It cost me $38.50 in all to buy it and fix it up. The people I was hauling with me had agreed to pay their way, which meant that they agreed to share their part of the expenses. I do not know how much they had paid on the expenses up to that time.
At about five o'clock in the evening when I got about six miles west of Post, Texas, I had a collision with a Mr. Joe H. ANDERSON, who was driving a Ford V-8 Pick Up Truck. I was traveling west in the middle of the highway at about 15 miles per hour, and Mr. ANDERSON was coming from the north on a side road that intersects the highway I was traveling on west. I do not know how fast he was traveling.
We met at the intersection of the roads, and I saw that Mr. ANDERSON was not going to stop, because he could not stop. I tried to stop but could not stop. I had waited a little too long to apply my brakes to stop before hitting him. If I had known that Mr. ANDERSON was not going to stop, I could have applied my brakes a little quicker and stopped; but I did not think that he was going to drive on out into the highway. When I saw that he was going to hit me, I swung over to the left side of the road, but Mr. ANDERSON's truck kept coming toward me and his left front wheel collided with about the middle of the right side of my truck. It did a lot of damage to both cars. I did not get hurt at all, except that I did have a little skin knocked off my ankle. No other damage was done to me personally in this wreck.
I would say that both Mr. ANDERSON and myself were about equally to blame. It was just about as much his fault as it was mine; and it was just about as much mine as it was his.
I am just a common laborer by trade. I never have been into any trouble in my life. Mr. ANDERSON has been very nice to me about the whole thing. I have also been nice to him. We both just want to do the best we can about this accident.

Joe ANDERSON's attorney, Joe S. MOSS, wrote a letter in closing his file which reads in part as follows:

The receipt for the payment of the funeral bill is also enclosed, so you have the whole thing now. Just file all this away somewhere so that you will know where it is if ever you they try to give you anymore trouble about the matter....
Mr. ANDERSON, I am of course a young lawyer with lots of things to learn about this law business. But even at that I have been in the business about five years of my young life, and I do not hesitate to say that you are undoubtedly the very finest man it has ever been my pleasure to represent. Never before in all my life have I found a client who had so much respect for the sufferings and misfortunes of other people. Frankly I don't think you would ever have been held liable to the widow and children of Mr. [A. R.] FISHER; but your fine appreciation of their predicament was such that you felt better over paying them a little. If as many as five per cent of my future clients have as much spirit of honesty, fair dealing and charity about them as you have displayed in this matter I am sure in the eyes of my clients I will be a good lawyer. Clients, and nothing else, make the lawyer.
In the future as your business might bring you down this way I will feel offended if you do not pay me a visit. And if there is ever anything that I can do down here in the way of giving you any assistance or information concerning anybody or anything, just write me and I'll attend the matter at once. And it won't cost you a penny.

The business in Lubbock was changed to a partnership on May 1, 1939, when Joe ANDERSON sold one third each to F. N. POGUE and Verlon BIGHAM and the new partnership of Pogue & Bigham Sheet Metal Works was formed. F. N. POGUE dropped out of the partnership, and it continued to operated as ANDERSON-BIGHAM for many years.

Joe ANDERSON invented the cottonhouse valve system and held patent number 1995464 on it, the patent being issued "this twenty-sixth day of March, in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and thirty-five, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and fifty-ninth." The patent description states:

This invention relates to distributing devices designed for the proper distribution of cotton after the same has been taken from wagons or trucks, and particularly to means whereby the cotton may be conveyed to the stalls of the warehouse by air.
The general object of my invention is to provide means connected to the conveyor pipe of this system whereby a plurality of stalls may be served from one branch elbow and a further object is to provide an elbow so constructed that it may be readily rotated through a complete circle to thus serve a plurality of stalls and so constructed that the extremity of the elbow may be shifted outward and downward so that the cotton may be discharged over the wall of said stall without the likelihood of the cotton being blown into the next adjacent stall.
A further object is to provide a swivel connection between the branch pipe and the main pipe which will not gather lint and thus required to be taken apart every now and then for cleaning, and which is further so constructed that the operator by moving the swivel connection may discharge any lint or other foreign matter that has gathered thereon....

Joe ANDERSON also invented the traveling telescope, which uses a vacuum action to suck cotton bolls from trailers into cotton gins, but he did not hold the patent on this invention.

I'm not sure whether Mr. Joe held the patent on the traveling telescope, as you say, or the cottonhouse valve system (though heavens knows I watched the patent number being stenciled on enough pieces I should know). If your father says it was the telescope, he's undoubtedly right. I know that the patent my Dad held was regularly infringed by one or more big gin companies that took the attitude, when he called them to task, that "We have our lawyers; do you have yours?" Meaning, of course, that they figured they could outspend him if it came to litigation. On the other product, toward which he felt as paternal as if he held the patent on that too, he regularly paid royalties, even though the patent was held by the same people who were infringing his and he sincerely believed he made both products first.

In a letter dated June 11, 1944, Joe ANDERSON explained the history to Croft BIGHAM of Continental Gin Company. I originally typed this cleaning up the spelling and run-on sentences, but they add such character, I edited them back in:

Answering your letter of the 4th refer to cut No. 1 attached this is the first telescope of its kind that I know any thing about and was designed by Joe FINDER who was at that time (about 1934) with BIGGS-WEAVER he had originally designed and patented the Ball and socket type or what is known as the Universal, and had sold the same to Elk City Mfg Co of Elk City Okla, (They have sence sold to Murry Co) Joe after he had sold the telescope he had patented made one as of this cut and erected same at McNEILS Gin in Seymour (That is I am sure where Lummus got same) I had sold and installed three of thes that I had got from BRIGGS-WEAVER when Fred RENNELS who had financed his cousin Jess L. RENNELS in securing the patent on the traveling telescope ask me to try and sell some of then as they were not able to get any one interested in same, and as you can see as he designed it was not practical as if you did not have at least 26' from the ground did not have room to install and at that time I contacted Mr. FINDER and ask him why he did not redesign and give more room in the throat as he had it it was to short he told me to go ahead and change same as I saw fit and make what I needed as at that time Hardwich ETTER as well as Lummus was makeing them and he did not think he was goeing to be able to get same Patened.
It was then this was early in 35 worked out the design that we are useing not and installed the first one in Thalia Texas at Farmers Cooperative Gin and then inclosed print No. 3 was copyed from the original instilation by draftman that Mr. RENNELS had go ther and make this drawing. and at the same time I went to makeing them and useing as stationary type my contract with Mr. RENNELS was to make five with out any Royalty and then we made contract that gave me the exclusive rite to them, but to be frank I was not sold on them at the time and did not push them very hard so RENNELS became dissatisfied and for the rite to make 10 additional I canceled the contract I had with them and it was at that time that he entered into contract with North Texas Hardware Co to handle them and they made up about 12 and sold only two so they so I am told canceled ther contract. It was under the arangement to make the additional 10 that I made the ones that got started out there among some of them was for LOCKET at Lockitsville (Had made them for him at his three gins in Wilbarger County earler) the one for WITT at Brownfield and others.
Think the above covers the Traveling part as to the stationary telescope you perhaps remember that in 36 when I came to Lubbock and was with your Father we made several of these and I in good faith said that same was not Patented and was not likly to be my statement was based on what Mr. FINDER had told me but after I had sold over a hundred and Your Father WALKUP, ERVIN, and others had sold some I was thretened woth suit by Lummus and after several trips to Dallas and lots of corrospondance settled with them on payment of $250.00 and ther releasing all others as they were sueing all that they could find that had made any of them and at that time we entered into Royalty contract with them.
As to STACEY, Lummus has told me several times that he was paying them $10.00 for each telescope he made as to that I do not know but he has not or at least did not even investigate the Patent on the traveling telescope as at one time I had same at Dallas at the Convention and North Texas Hardware allso showed same one Year and they did that as they did with my House Valve,
I do not know what effect goeing into this matter will have with Verlon and I as we have long sence made more of thes telescopes than I had contract to build in fact the boys were building them before I realy knew that they were goeing over so well I have my doubts that they are infringing on Mr. RENNELS but I did not at that time have copy of their Claims they were to furnish same to me but never did so guess the best thing to do would be to get copy from Washington.
Trust that how ever this comes out that we do not wind up haveing to "hold the sack" as that is the way I usely wind up when I get tangled up with Patents as I have my Valve covered and Both STACEY and H. E. makes and sells them and makes no bones of it but says in substiance when I take up with them " We got our lawer you get yours" and as you know a Court house is good place for little folks like Verlon and I to stay away from. and at the telescope that we are paying royalty on I am sure that we were selling them before any one else but you will note that the papers for this was dated June 8 1935 and the earlest sale that I can establish is June 26 same year there is no doubt in my mine that we are makeing better telescope than Lummus and have payed them many times what they were out on same.
Croft I am also sending copy of Lummus Patent will you please return the last four of these to me as they are the last of each I have and sure want to keep them.

Very truly yours.

He tithed for about 57 years, as reported by the following account, written in 1961:

"Once in 47 years, I was tempted to quit tithing," admits Joe ANDERSON, who is "Mr. Methodist" in Quanah, "but after I won that battle I have never been tempted again." The devil got his lick in when "Brother Joe" came out of the Navy after World War I and had a break down. He was without work for a while and finally was able to take a little job that provided enough to keep soul and body together. One day he made sales enough to clear $156.50. The youngsters were without shoes, and the family needed to spend the money on clothes. "For two weeks" the veteran tither recalls, "I held the Lord's money back playing with the idea of using it for ourselves, but finally I put it in my tithe box, and I have never been tempted since."
Joe ANDERSON began tithing when he joined the Methodist Church. He had been a Baptist of sorts, but in 1914 under the preaching of Bob SHULER, who was holding a revival at Beeville where the young ANDERSON had a blacksmith shop, Brother Joe joined The Methodist Church with his wife and became an after (sic) churchman. He credits Bob SHULER's preaching and the stream of pamphlets put out by The Methodist Church with making and keeping him a tither.
Material reward has never been the basis of his tithing, Joe ANDERSON explains. He admits that there are plenty of times to which he could point when he believes it has actually paid to tithe, but he objects to anyone practicing tithing on such a materialistic basis. "I tithe", he says, "because it makes giving such a joy."
A prosperous business and sense of stewardship has made it possible for Joe ANDERSON to give to the Methodist Church and worthy causes. Approximately 80% of his giving goes through the church and the other 20% is given to Red Cross, Community chest, other churches and civic enterprises. For example, he personally paid to have an old church building off the Acme Circuit moved into Quanah to serve as the first unit of St. Luke's Methodist Church. In his own church, First Church, Quanah, Brother Joe is depended upon for advice, inspiration, and generous financial support.
Although none of his children attended McMurry College in Abilene, Mr. ANDERSON has been a substantial contributor to that frontier institution of the Northwest Texas Conference. He is a member of its Board of Trustees, and received a service award plaque in 1960 for outstanding service. The Ministerial alliance of his home town, Quanah, has cited him as the most generous contributor to community and religious causes in his city.
The ANDERSONS moved recently to a modest brick home. Instead of renting their home to secure additional income, or selling it to apply on the new house, they gave it - a $10,000 structure - to the Board of Pensions of the Northwest Texas Conference. It will be used for Retired Ministers.
Mrs. ANDERSON, moved to Quanah by the time she was a year old and has lived all her life in Quanah except for a few years when she and her husband lived in Beeville. They have three children, two of them still living in Quanah. The two daughters, Mrs. J. L. BARNES and Mrs. Sam BREEDLOVE are graduates of Texas Wesleyan College where they attended when Dr. Tom BRABHAM was its president. Joe, Jr., a Red Raider from Texas Tech, is assistant editor on the World desk of the Washington Post. He graduated with honors from Texas Tech.
The source of Joe ANDERSON's income is a sheet metal shop that specializes in making parts for the Moss Lint Cleaner which he has shipped as far away as Sudan, Africa.
Cited by community leaders, educators, and Northwest Conference leaders for his generosity, he is no less appreciated by his own pastors. Rev. Walter G. WHITE, First Church, Quanah, pastor reports that the Quanah philanthropist sets the pace for loyalty and generosity, service and forward looking spirit in his own local church.
Joe H. ANDERSON served on the draft board during World War II. He was the Outstanding Citizen of 1957 for Quanah, Texas. Both he and Lena were active in Odd Fellows and Rebekahs for many years, including serving as President for the Panhandle Odd Fellows in 1921-22.

My grandmother, Lena Lorice KERLEY ANDERSON, was a lady in every respect of the word. She was prim and proper (i.e., reserved and dignified), never boisterous, and basically elegant. In her youth she had a lot of friends and relatives with whom she corresponded by post cards (which cost a penny then for both the card and the stamp). She saved the cards, and your grandmother still has them. She attended Roberts Business College in Bowie for at least one year and probably two. Of her wedding day at her parent's home in Chillicothe, she said, "There was a norther then, a real hard wind. It was so cold and blowing so hard that some of the guests just downtown couldn't come." There was an old tale of a contest between her and Granddaddy when they were young having a disagreement about who had the biggest mouth. The system devised for proving it was to take two large cookies and for each to take the largest possible bite out of the cookie. The results were inconclusive because of the basic difference in the shape of the mouth. This story always seemed incongruous because it just wasn't the type of thing they would do, in my estimation. She was a homemaker and a seamstress and had studied bookkeeping. She was a good cook, and her house was always spotless. Because of Granddaddy's handiness with the products he made in the shop, she used to say that before she ever asked for anything or suggested they might get anything, she first imagined what it would look like made of metal. The motto of his business was, "If it's made of sheet metal we make it" and Grandmother knew the truth of this from experience. She and Granddaddy always went to church. She went to a women's Sunday School class, and he went to a men's class. She had a mink stole (Carol says it was rabbit. Maybe, but it sure was neat) that Granddaddy gave her for Christmas one year, and it was great fun to sit beside her in church and stroke that stole. She was active in the community, in civic clubs such as the 1904 club. Even when she was old, she had dark hair with very little gray in it.

Joe Holt ANDERSON, Sr., and his wife Lena Lorice KERLEY had three children:

Emma Lorice ANDERSON BARNES, their oldest child, was born May 18, 1912, and married John Lynder (J. L.) BARNES. Lorice was salutatorian of her high school class in Chillicothe, as were her brother and sister. She was a graduate of Texas Wesleyan College in Fort Worth (or perhaps of Texas Women's College, since she was there about the time they changed the name.) She taught school in Quanah for many years, teaching English to eighth grade students, and she was for many years the sponsor of the Student Council. She was always immaculately dressed and groomed, and her manners were impeccable. Her sister reports that as they were growing up, wearing the long socks that were fashionable, Lorice's always remained in place all day, a feat her sister could not match. After J. L. divorced her during the 1970's, and after she retired from teaching, Lorice worked at an abstract company and the cable company, doing books. She was active in the church and in the 1904 club. Emma Lorice died in March, 1989. Lorice and J. L. were the parents of two children.
  • Lynda Lorice BARNES SPARKMAN was born in 1941 and married Van Dale SPARKMAN in August, 1960. Their four sons are
    • Van Darrell SPARKMAN who married Angie THOMAS,
    • John David SPARKMAN who married Shana WESSON,
    • Stephen Dale SPARKMAN who married Tori LANE, and
    • Randal Dean SPARKMAN.
  • John ANDERSON BARNES born November 13, 1946. He married CeDana McCALEB and their children are
    • Kevin Anderson BARNES,
    • John Kelly BARNES, and
    • Kimberley BARNES.
Alma Ellen ANDERSON BREEDLOVE married Sam Rhapherd BREEDLOVE, and they are described on the Breedlove page.
Joe Holt ANDERSON, Jr., was born October 15, 1928. He married Jeanne Marie Ursula FORTIER in Minneapolis, March 9, 1957. Jeanne died in Washington, D.C., June 5, 1979, and Joe married second Marilyn Joyce (Lyn) SMITH, whose first husband was Walter C. SCHMITT, Joe and Lyn's marriage being August 31, 1982. Lyn died September 5, 1985.

Joe Holt ANDERSON, Jr., the youngest child of Joe Holt ANDERSON, Sr., and wife Lena Lorice KERLEY, was born October 15, 1928. As a child, he learned to read on a set of encyclopedias, tearing off the margin of the paper as he read, but never touching a letter. I would tell of the time Alma Ellen was babysitting and went inside to answer the telephone, when he tried to ride his tricycle to Chillicothe to see Aunt 'Stell, but that would not be Joe's choice of tales to tell. "-I suppose there's no hope of ever eliminating that business about the tricycle tourist, although I can in simple honesty point out that the blatant motive of attention-getting was pointed up by the fact that, failing to create enough fuss by the first service-station stop, I stopped 'to ask directions' a second time but a few blocks away."

He graduated from Chillicothe High School and Texas Tech. "I'm surprised, really, that anything is ever said about taking trig 'as an elective.' Although it may technically have been an elective so far as the high school was concerned, (1) getting it out of the way enabled me to have more flexibility later on with college requirements; (2) of the six of us in the course, at least three others either smashed the curve as thoroughly as I did (A4 each of thee 6-weeks, 100 on final exam, average for course A4), or came mighty close to it; (3) it was not only easy but fun! for the same reasons and in the same way I enjoyed high school geometry and symbolic logic in college, and enjoy chess problems and writing macros for computer programs today."

"I don't know why, if the old folks MUST tell stories on me, they don't tell the one about my memorizing the eye chart to get in the Army. (Then, having grabbed a chocolate malt for nourishment immediately after getting off the bus in Abilene, I failed the urinalysis and had to sit around the doctor's office gulping water all afternoon so as to produce a less sugar-coated specimen.)"- He broke his glasses in Korea and was shipped home on a hospital ship and given a medical discharge because of the condition of his eyesight.

Joe worked for the Oklahoma Daily in Oklahoma City, then for the Minneapolis Tribune, then for the Washington Post. He is now writing materials for governmental agencies. "I really haven't done all that much writing outside of the stuff I made a living from.... I ghost wrote the book about Latin American airlines for Philip SCHLEIT (Shelton's Barefoot Airline, Harborgate Press, 1981; out of print).... I did the cookbook with Jeanne, which was fun and a real morale booster but looks awfully simplistic and slightly sloppy when I reread it.

Joe Holt and Jeanne were the parents of two daughters:
  • Judith Marie ANDERSON MORENO who married John Ruben MORENO, and
  • Gwyneth Jeanne ANDERSON URQUIDI who married Mario Ricardo (Rich) URQUIDI NUÑEZ.

Back to top

E.)   A. Joseph HOLT and the fighting Texas Baptists.

I sit writing this in September of 1993 when within an incredibly short time unthinkable events have occurred. The Berlin Wall has fallen, the Soviet Union is no more, and Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization are moving toward peace. It would appear that to make generalizations about the movement of history at this point in time is to invite humiliation. However, without trepidation, I would urge that Texas Baptists have been fighting for virtually all of their one hundred fifty year history, and they are apt to continue in conflict for generations to come.

Certainly in the 1880's Texas Baptists were set opposed to each other in support of two competing universities, in loyalty to two rival newspapers, and in membership of two dominant general bodies. Three facts tie our family history closely to the conflict. First, Joe Holt ANDERSON, Jr., indicates that the source of the Holt in his name was a Baptist evangelist, Joseph HOLT. Second, Alma Ellen ANDERSON BREEDLOVE has in her possession a picture showing on the front of the picture in script, "A. J. HOLT" and on the back "E. A." which may indicate the photograph was given to Emma WILLIAMS ANDERSON whose son Joe Holt ANDERSON was born November 29, 1887. Third, the Baptist records of the period often show A. J. HOLT and S. J. ANDERSON acting in accord with each other in signing instruments and in expounding a controversial position at Baptist functions. That S. J. ANDERSON was the Reverend Samuel Joseph ANDERSON, an uncle of the infant Joe Holt ANDERSON.

J. C. CARROLL's A History of Texas Baptists Comprising a Detailed Account of Their Activities, Their Program and Their Achievements, which was published in 1923, presents a view of the years of conflict in the 1880's and 1890's from the standpoint of those in the opposing faction of the denomination. His work, however, is presented in an even-handed manner and incorporates many early records.

This ten-year period - 1876-1885 - marked the beginning of much larger things in all Texas Baptist mission work. Ideals were vastly enlarged, and as a result, larger plans and larger deeds closely followed the enlarging ideals.
For five or six years we continued along the same traditional level, but suddenly there came the change to larger things. Two men stand out pre-eminently prominent in this enlargement - O. C. POPE, of the Baptist State Convention, long since gone to his eternal home, and A. J. HOLT, of the General Association, now living in Florida.

CARROLL reports that A. J. HOLT was sent in 1877 as a missionary to the "wild Indian tribes of the Indian Territory." In 1878 he also served. The General Association promised these missionaries no fixed salaries but simply said they "Will pay what we can." The records state that "the missionaries suffered." The situation was not much better in 1879 when A. J. HOLT was one of two missionaries but had to leave the field for lack of support before the end of the year. A part of his report to the Association that year follows:

If our past experience in Indian missions has proven anything it has demonstrated that the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth. While arts and arms, money, men and measures have been called into requisition, yet with our government the Indian problem remains unsolved. The lavish expenditure of millions of money and the strong arm of military power at last threw the shackles of bondage around the feet of John Jumper, but he stood erect in his self-conscious manhood, unconquered and unconquerable. But when the gospel of Christ, proclaimed by one of our humble missionaries, was heard by this savage, it transformed him and seated him at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind, an advocate of religion, a propagator of civilization, a friend to our government. The Modoc War, still fresh in our memory, cost our government millions of money and hundreds of lives. It chained, but could not tame the savage, but now under the influence of Christianity, with little money, and no lives lost, the Modoc is civilized.
The testimony of agent A. C. WILLIAMS, whom you thanked last year for his friendship to your missionary in his official report to the Commissioner of Indian affairs, says: 'One faithful missionary is worth more than a regiment of soldiers in civilizing the wild Indian.'
In 1883, The Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention proposed to the State Convention and the General Association to give them $3,000 each for their mission work, conditioned that these bodies raise a matching amount. Both organizations accepted, and the General Association for the first time appointed an individual to coordinate, especially in raising money. R. C. BUCHNER was appointed first and resigned after less than three months because of serious illness. Rev. G. W. PICKETT replaced him but resigned after nine weeks.
The year was rapidly passing. Things did not look especially promising. At last, however, they discovered their Moses in the person of A. J. HOLT. He was the man for the hour, and here began the secretarial career of this wonderful bundle of missionary energy and enthusiasm. Sixteen missionaries were put in the field and 105 stations were supplied, extending from Texarkana on the east, to Abilene on the west, and north to the Panhandle. And here, during this year, began some of the serious and unhappy overlapping of missionary work between the Convention and the General Association. Two more energetic and aggressive men than O. C. POPE of the Convention, and A. J. HOLT of the General Association, never held similar positions in Texas.

In 1884, HOLT completed his first full year as superintendent of missions of the Association, and his report showed his enthusiasm and the general success of the year.

We began a work last August that was encumbered with the prestige of a discouraging record. There had been so many changes of plans and agents that the whole matter was regarded in the light of an experiment. We saw a vast destitution which had never been supplied, partly from lack of organization, partly from lack of means, but mainly owing to the conflicting missionary interests of this section of the country. We resolved first to burn out this spirit of conflict by the ardor of a holy missionary zeal. We said nothing about dividing lines and rival organizations, but went resolutely to work supplying that destitution which was certainly ours.
There is more recognized destitution now than there was last year. Our work has awakened the half-sleeping associations to see how little they are doing generally, and how much there is to do. Appeals for assistance are coming in from every quarter. The moment we cease advancing we begin to retreat. There should be placed in our mission fields this year fully 100 missionaries. It is hoped that the embarrassment of the past year will not hinder our future work. The work of Bro. POWELL in Mexico, so grandly successful, has enlisted the sympathies of us all. Our Brazilian mission, manned by noble Texans, has had a large share in our sympathies and contributions and none too Large. Bro. KIEFER's work in Germany has reawakened all efforts in his behalf. Bro. GIVEN has pushed our Theological Seminary work, which is needy, with great vigor.
We now submit the work to your hands, praying God's blessing to rest upon labors past, and His wisdom to guide the work yet to be done.

HOLT continued in his position as superintendent of missions through the year 1885, the last year of the separate existence of the Association. He reported for that year 57 missionaries performing 1,279 weeks of labor, the baptism of 826, and the organization of 51 churches and 89 Sunday Schools.

Several entities, but most notably the Baptist State Convention and the Texas Baptist Association, merged to form the Baptist General Convention June 29, 1886. The consolidation lasted two years as to allegiance to a single paper, four years as to a school and fourteen as to the single general body.

A. T. SPALDING, a Convention man, was chosen president of the newly consolidated body. A. J. HOLT, a General Association man, was chosen corresponding secretary and general superintendent of missions, and O. H. P. GARRETT, a Convention man, and S. J. ANDERSON, a General Association man, were chosen recording secretaries.

The work of the unified convention started in a zealous style, and CARROLL notes that, "A. J. HOLT proved himself a strong and aggressive organizer and leader."

The enthusiasm of 1887 did not evince itself in the minutes of the 1889 convention. CARROLL's description of that meeting is quoted here at length.

Near the close of the 1889 session of the Convention the question of electing a corresponding secretary and superintendent of missions came up for final action. Two men were placed in nomination - A. J. HOLT and J. B. CRANFILL. Speeches or statements were made when these men were nominated. The statements were written, and by resolution were ordered printed in the minutes of the Convention. As they form a part of our history, and throw some light on some others, we give them hear.
The first was made by B. H. CARROLL in the nomination of A. J. HOLT. It is copied here from the records:
Statement of B. H. CARROLL. - At the Convention last year I stated to Rev. A. J. HOLT that there were obstacles in his way as superintendent of missions. That good brethren felt the obstacles and friction of certain objections. That I shared with them in the objections I stated then. He candidly admitted their force, but could not then see a way to their removal. I then advised him to announce that his name would not go before the people another year, telling him frankly he ought to stand on his announcement if the conditions of it continued.
During the year some of us have addressed ourselves to the removal of the difficulties. I asked him to counsel with his friend, Dr. BROADUS, and see if he did not concur with me. He did so concur.
It is not best for our superintendent of missions to be connected with a newspaper enterprise about which our mission constituency differ. This difficulty is removed. A. J. HOLT has sold to S. A. HAYDEN his entire interest in 'The Texas Baptist and Herald.' The sale is bona fide.
Again, A. J. HOLT esteems it a privilege that what he has long before voluntarily stated, privately and publicly, be not re-stated publicly, viz: That, making no reference to any church, and none to any man except himself, it was a blunder and a wrong for him, A. J. HOLT, to accept connection with any other church while under charges in his own. That this last statement is made without reference, whatever, to his mission work, but on its own merits. Having the two difficulties removed which were in my way, and in the way of others, and with the distinct and written announcement that this vote is constructive of nothing but mission interests, and because I believe the best interests of missions require his election, I do honestly, heartily and sincerely nominate A. J. HOLT as superintendent of missions for the ensuring year.
Following that statement there came a short statement from A. M. SIMMS, nominating J. B. CRANFILL, as follows:
Statement of A. M. SIMMS. - Notwithstanding the announcement just made, there are many brethren who think that the mission interests of the State require a change in the superintendent of missions, and we therefore nominate Brother J. B. CRANFILL to fill the place.
HOLT was elected, but declined to accept the position.
J. B. CRANFILL was then chosen unanimously.

The name of A. J. HOLT fades from the minutes of the convention; almost as a footnote to the history is this account of the 1990 convention:

A touching and impressing incident occurred during the 1890 meeting of the Convention. A. J. HOLT, after having declined the work of the Convention at its 1889 session, decided to make a long desired trip to the "Holy Land." While in Jerusalem, he had a beautiful olive wood gavel made especially for the Convention. Dr. A. T. SPALDING, in presenting the gavel to the Convention, read the following letter from Brother HOLT. It can, however, be seen that the letter was not intended to be made public:
Rev. A. T. SPALDING, Dear Brother: Will you do me the kindness to present this gavel to the Convention to-morrow? An iron-bound business transaction compels my absence at that time, hence this request. This gavel I had made in the 'Holy City,' Jerusalem, for this Convention. It was made of olive wood, probably from the Mount of Olives. It was made by a Jew who lives on the Via Dolorosa - the sorrowful way - along which your blessed Saviour is said to have passed, bearing His Cross, from the hall of condemnation to Calvary. This is perhaps the last little bit of service I may be able to render to my Texas brethren while officially connected with them. Were I present I should be betrayed into the weakness of expressing myself with over-much tenderness regarding my love and labors for Texas Baptists. You need not read this paper to the Convention, neither need you express the sentiments herein conveyed, but I wish to contribute this last mite toward the peace and good order of my Texas brethren.
When this gavel falls, I trust it will be heeded. This gavel was made in hearing of the spot where He, by whose stripes we are healed, suffered, the just for the unjust. It grew on the Mount from which He ascended to the right hand of the Father. Let all the memories of Calvary, Gethsemane and Olivet accompany the sound of this gavel, and may the brethren preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

The secretaries were instructed to convey to Brother HOLT special thanks and assurances of grateful appreciation from the Convention and to print his letter in the minutes.

I must admit that my genealogical research is hampered by the fact that when I am in a city with an exciting library, like the Clayton Library in Houston where I found this book, annoying impositions impose on my time and I have to spend a great deal of valuable research time attending judicial conventions. I compensate by madly xeroxing voluminous pages, including all those with family names appearing on them and the ones that quick scanning indicate are tied in to make sense of the other isolated pages. Unfortunately, in the calm in front of the computer when I try to sort them out, I always want a few more pages. Interesting bits and pieces that fit the puzzle somewhere, although the chronology is uncertain at this point, follow.

One interesting vignette is the random pages is dated only as "just after the adjournment of the Convention at Gainesville. At a board meeting, Rev. S. J. ANDERSON nominated A. J. HOLT as assistant superintendent of missions, insisting on a salary of $1,800 per year. The board, "never having in its history voted so large a salary to any assistant, declined to appropriate more than $1,500." The appointment was not accepted, and another was employed at the $1,500 salary. A comment concerning the Marshall convention says that the matter of "salary and expense was largely agitated in the board and in the Convention by Brethren S. A. HAYDEN and S. J. ANDERSON."

I have indicated that CARROLL was a member of the opposing camp. He spends a great deal of space in his book with chapters such as "Renewal of the HAYDEN Agitation" describing the despicable acts of "our" camp. Dr. S. A. HAYDEN was the editor of The Texas Baptist and Herald. In the chapter "The Culmination of the HAYDEN Agitation 1898-1900" CARROLL says, "S. A. HAYDEN was the outstanding leader in all the disturbances of these sad years. To look back upon these years from one viewpoint they, even yet, appear painfully sad indeed. When we think of the bitter feelings engendered, of the harsh things said and done, of the separation among our Baptist forces, and of the doubts, jealousies, suspicions and hatreds which were created, genuine sorrow comes unbidden to every Christian heart."

The anti-HAYDEN forces expressed their ire with him by refusing to seat him in the Convention in 1898. The challenge to his being a delegate took the form or reading clippings from his newspaper, supporting the allegations as follows:

1. He did, in his paper, distributed at the Convention at San Antonio, falsely charge that a struggle was in progress between the board of this Convention and the churches for supremacy. He did further falsely charge that a dominant element in the board of this Convention seeks to avoid the verdict of the churches by every means known to diplomacy. He did charge that there is a Roman Catholic policy being practiced to withhold information from the masses. he did charge that insulting epithets and vituperative abuses, in pulpit, platform and print, were being employed to mislead Baptists. [Proof omitted after each allegation.]
2. He did falsely charge that the Convention in session at San Antonio in November, 1897, did lend itself to the promotion of a private newspaper enterprise and employed questionable political methods to accomplish its purpose.
3. He has falsely charged officers and members of our board with exercising Episcopal functions in the creation of new churches in the interest of the measures proposed by the board; and in doing so has falsely charged officials of this Convention with most reprehensible conduct, and that, too, as a result of a long since concocted scheme. He charges tendency to centralization.
4. He insinuatingly assails the work of the Education Commission in his words, 'Brackish of the Yellow Tiber,' with the evident purpose of hindering a great work undertaken by this Convention.
5. He has undertaken to hinder and cripple our State mission work by publishing caricatures of our corresponding secretary, with the evident purpose of making him appear ridiculous in articles to which his name was forged.
6. He has falsely charged the recording secretaries of this Convention with falsifying the records of the proceedings at San Antonio. The printed minutes show just what was done, to-wit: 'On motion the president appointed the brethren named as a committee on credentials.' In making this charge he charges the Convention itself, which, by unanimous vote adopted these records, with 'deliberate, wilful and intentional perversion of the truth.'
7. He has falsely charged a studied and secret purpose on the part of the friends of this Convention to capture the Sunday School and Colportage Convention of the State, so as to have all interests under the control of one board.
8. He has falsely charged the president of the board of directors of this Convention in connivance with other officers with a studied plan to reduce a local sovereign church to subjection to the dictation of the board, and in the same paragraph admits that his charge is 'prophetical.'
9. He has sneered at the idea of the Holy Spirit begin with the members of the Convention at San Antonio, and by his tone and insinuations seeks to bring the Baptists of Texas into contempt.
10. He has falsely charged the board of directions and the Education Commission with conspiring together to furnish places or positions to their friends, simply for the purpose of furnishing a place to those out of work.
11. He has directly insinuated that the corresponding secretary of this Convention has falsified his reports as to the number of laborers in the field.
12. He has published a communication in which the corresponding secretary of this Convention is scandalously caricatured as a Roman Catholic infallible pontiff, the only effect of which could be the arousing of prejudices to the injury of the work of this Convention.
13. He has, in connection with a financial scandal connected with another denomination held up before the public the workers of this Convention as 'missionary salary grabbers' to the shame of the cause and the injury of the work.
14. He has charged a former officer of this Convention with embezzlement, in the following words: 'Who actually appropriated the assets of the board to his own private use.' And this after the Convention has repeatedly had the reports of said secretary examined by special committees, and had each time, by unanimous vote, adopted the reports of said committees, completely vindicating the secretary from such charges and approving his accounts. At the last examination at Houston in 1896, said S. A. HAYDEN was present with the committee, and at the close of the examination declared himself satisfied, and manifesting his approbation of the same by not voting against the report. In renewing this charge he practically charges the members of the committees which investigated and the members of the several Conventions which adopted the reports of said committees with either imbecility or dishonesty, in conniving at and covering up gross crime. In making the charge he also charges the present secretary with printing misleading matter, and that, too, by the perversion of funds in his hands.
15. Said S. A. HAYDEN did, on April 28, 1898, print and distribute at the Southern Baptist Convention, in session at Norfolk, VA., an edition of 'The Texas Baptist and Herald,' in which one whole page was devoted to innuendoes, insinuations and charges against the Baptists of Texas, of a kind with those included in the above specifications, which matter did not appear in the regular edition sent out to his subscribers in Texas. It was well known that the 'American Baptist Education Society,' through which wealthy men of the East contribute their aid to colleges, would hold its annual meeting in connection with said Southern Baptist Convention. It was further known that the Baptists of Texas would seek, through that Society, to secure aid in making a success of the correlated school campaign which was being pushed under the auspices of our State Convention, with our corresponding secretary as president of our Education Commission, and at the same time vice-president of said Education Society. The conclusion is irresistible that said. S. A. HAYDEN circulated his special edition at that meeting, with one whole page devoted to uncomplimentary insinuations and charges against representative and prominent Baptists of Texas, as well as against the Convention itself, for the purpose of making unfavorable impressions upon the members of said Education Society, and preventing an appropriation to our work.
16. Said S. A. HAYDEN has charged a large number of brethren in Texas with criminal conspiracy to libel and damage him and his business, and by words of his allegations makes the Baptist General Convention of Texas itself a party to such alleged criminal conspiracy and libel, both by its act in refusing him a seat as a messenger, and by publishing the proceedings in the minutes of the Convention. For the publication in his paper of the legal document in which he makes these false charges Judge Gray, of the 44th District Court at Dallas, did find him in contempt of court, and he stands so convicted to-day. These false charges were unlawfully printed in the special edition of 'The Texas Baptist and Herald,' containing a page of special matter not found in the paper sent to Texas subscribers, but distributed at the Southern Baptist Convention at Norfolk, Va., in May, 1898, thus evincing his purpose to give the widest publicity possible to his misrepresentations of the Baptists of Texas.

The 1898 Convention did not refuse to seat S. A. HAYDEN, based on the charges quoted. Instead, a compromise report was entered which stated that the Convention expressed "strong disapproval and condemnation of the course of said HAYDEN" and demanded "that he refrain and desist in the future from such attacks." Of the 493 messengers enrolled in the Convention, 33 of these protested the action taken, declaring that

...S. A. HAYDEN was arraigned on the recommendation of a majority of the board as on the indictment of a grand jury, and after said board, through its members, appeared as prosecutors or witnesses and the testimony was all taken....showing that the prosecution had broken down, and while said resolution was a clear verdict of 'not guilty as charged in the indictment,' nevertheless, the tendency was to fix the odium of guilt upon Brother HAYDEN, while he was not permitted to make any comments on his proof, or any defense as to the resolutions of censure.... We further protest against the action of the body in demanding of the editor of an independent Baptist paper to pursue a certain line of policy, as being wholly unbaptistic, and in accord with those ecclesiastical bodies which claim the right to muzzle their organs and to direct them in accordance with their own wishes... Lastly, we protest against said action as ignoring the real issue involved, and covering it up by an unconstitutional arraignment and trial of one who represents the sentiments of a large part of our denomination.

The first two signatories of the 33 were R. C. BURLESON, the namesake of Burleson College, and S. J. ANDERSON.

As I said, the Baptists of Texas have always fought and continue to do so to the present day. If there is hope for such foes as the Soviet Union and the United States and Israel and the Palestinians, there is perhaps a ray of hope for the Texas Baptists.

Jump to the first ANDERSON page, Samuel ANDERSON and his wives and children
Thomas Wilson ANDERSON, Sr., and his wife Columbia Belle McFERRON ENGLISH ANDERSON
Jump to the second ANDERSON page, Thomas Wilson ANDERSON, Sr., and his wife Emma L. WILLIAMS.

Return to top

Names Being Researched

Red: Good Stuff Here   Pink: Maybe Some Help   Gray: Please Help ME!
Allaman Allerton Anderson Baldridge Barents Barlow Barrett
Berryman Beverley Boz Breedlove Bull Carrington Catlett
Cobb Coley Cox Deadman DeJongh Dudley Dunn
Dunnagan Edward Fletcher Fullerton Gaebler Haie Harkness
Hargrove Hargus Holt Hodge(s) Ivey Jarman Kerley
Kunst Lane Lewellen Loving McCarley McCullough McFerron
McKendree Meade Meeks Newton Nowlen Parr Pawling
Pells Ray Rhapherd Richards Rollins Roosa Sharpe
Slecht Sparrowe Spence Stagg Sturgeon Taliaferro Tucker
Tyler Underwood Warren Wilkinson Williams Wood(s) Wrenn

Email Me


Main Page

This site is maintained by
While this is Barbara's own family
it's also the kind of work she'll do for you.